Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Social Networking and It's Effects on Today's Society



In this entry, I am going to be talking about networking-- specifically social media and networking: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc... all of it! Our lives have become so focused on the social media that we forget to sometimes "unplug" and go outside. 

Now, please don't misunderstand me. I do my fair share of Facebook posting, Instagram-ing, and tweeting too.** I believe they are great ways to keep in contact with friends and family you don't get to see often, and I love Instagram because it gives me the opportunity to meet and follow new people. However, there is truth behind the saying "you can have too much of a good thing." Social media and networking are wonderful things-- in moderation. 

Two articles I've read recently that discuss the effects of social networking are "5 Effects Social Networks Have On You" by Singyin Lee and "The Effects of Social Networking Upon Society". 

"5 Effects Social Networks Have On You" Thoughts
This article focused on "what science is saying about you and your social networks." It is centered towards how social media effects the individual and mainly the effects it can have on one's self-image. The author uses studies to link specific social networks with health topics like eating disorders, depression, and self-esteem as well as bringing attention to how these networking activities can effect your physical interactions. The article also brings attention to how using social networks like Twitter can be influencing narcissism (loving yourself and making your opinions known to as many people as possible). 
I found the article interesting, but very short. I wish the author would have discussed each segment more in-depth than what he did.  

"The Effects of Social Networking Upon Society" Thoughts
This article was very critical of social networking and its effect on society. Throughout the article, it brings attention to bullying, the aspects of "friends" on social sites, and the impact of how too much social networking can negatively effect the world. In the concluding paragraph the author states: 

“Social networking aides long distance communication greatly but there must be a stopping point. It cannot become our main form of communication and interaction. There are positives to this new technology but nowhere do these positives outweigh the negatives… There is nothing that can substitute for personal interaction.

Personal Opinion and Thoughts... Conclusion
I strongly agree with the above sentence. There is nothing that can substitute for personal interaction. I believe that we, as humans, need a community. We need physical connections with the people and the world around us. However, that does not happen if we are focused on making our next Facebook update or editing a picture to put on Instagram. Sure, communicating with others through these networks is possible and happens, but if we are not careful eventually that will be lost. Facebook messaging and tweeting friends is fine, but I would rather be there with them. With these social networks, we lose the intimacy that face-to-face interaction gives us, and I believe that is a disadvantage to society. 
Facebooking, tweeting, Instagram-ing, etc. will never compare to getting together with friends and going to the park or watching a movie. Even taking naps with your friends is more sociable, because you are doing it together. While it is fun, social networking just is not the same as actual physical socializing. It's like eating the offbrand version of your favorite cookies; it tastes alright, but it is not the real thing. 

So I encourage you, get out and hang with your friends. Social networking can wait. Go throw a ball or watch a movie with your friends; maybe take a nap! Just do it together. 




**After writing so long about social networking, I figured I could at least post my Instagram where I am most active! My handle is @maddymae9413 and you should follow me! I love new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment